Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Master Copy - Offering to Venus

Re-sharing this study here since I painted it specifically to guide me in painting the redo of the cover of Kushiel's Dart that I'm currently working on. This painting has given me some fantastic ideas about how to handle Phedre's wardrobe as well. I can't wait to get back to it!

What I Learned from Master Copying - Offering to Venus
I recently finished a master copy of John William Godward’s painting, Offering to Venus.  This was my first ever attempt at copying a masterwork and it’s proven to be a most enlightening experience!  Many thanks to Sam Hogg for her suggestion to try this exercise and her tutorials on the matter.

image
See a step by step with detailed notes at WiPnation.


Why Do This?

Why would someone drive themselves insane this way, you ask?  For me, I did this exercise to prime myself for another painting which I had hit a dead end with.  I wanted skin glow, gorgeous roses, a classical painterly feel, and translucent material, but it all seemed flat and plastic no matter what I did with it.  I needed some time away from the piece to figure out how this was done. 

image
The ‘other’ painting, a reinterpretation of the cover of
Kushiel’s Dart by Jacqueline Carey.

That’s when I came upon John William Godward’s Offering to Venus.  This painting had everything I wanted in my own - glowing soft skin, roses, sheer cloth, and a classical feel…
Read on at the full blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment