Saturday, April 6, 2013

Keys of Inspiration

Years ago during my days as an over-caffeinated college student, a friend introduced me to a then unknown novel called Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey.  I didn't know what to expect, at first, but once the book got its thorns in me, I could not escape.  Fallen angels, beautiful tattooed women, elegant sensuality, a rich medieval world? These keys of inspiration fit the lock to my muse like no other!  I yearned to draw the things my mind's eye saw in this glorious book, but at the time I just did not have the skills to fit my vision, being the budding artist I was back then.

It is only now, years later, that I feel I even remotely have the competence as an illustrator to embark on this grand journey that I have longed to undertake.  What is that journey?  To create art inspired by the Kushiel's Legacy universe so that I can pay tribute to this wonderful series and produce the kind of art I love.   It was when I sat awake one night, an over-caffeinated adult now four years out of grad school wondering what I could draw for my fledgling illustration portfolio when I began to feel the thorns of Kushiel's Legacy in me again.  Did they ever really leave, I wonder?

Professionally, I want to fill my portfolio with the kind of art and subject matter I am passionate about because it is important to me that my career follows my passions as an artist.  This journey of visual development is to be but the first step in what could be many projects, with Kushiel's Legacy as my initiation and catalyst.  In the future, I might turn my mind's eye on the The Wheel of Time, A Song of Ice and Fire, etc.  Who knows? The possibilities are endless in a world where words meet visuals!

Expect all kinds of art in this journal, from my own renditions of the series' book covers to concept art of the characters to interior illustrations. All things are possible where my multi-interested muse is involved!

To kick things off with a bang, enjoy this feast of thumbnails exploring various compositions for a wrap-around cover for Kushiel's Dart!  I have my favorites, of course, but I want to hear what you think!  Share in comments.


You might remember the expertly rendered book cover for Kushiel's Dart by John Jude Palencar.  If not, here's a reminder:

 
Join me next time for a look at the creative process for this cover's redesign!

No comments:

Post a Comment